Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Top 5 Sushi Restaurants in the US

Having experienced sushi coast-to-coast for many years--I have to say the best are in New York and California. Now that I am living in a small town in Florida, I am a fan of the local place, but realistically, sushi is best and freshest where there are the most people to eat it.

That said, I realize that my list, which would have included Matsuhisa in LA and possibly some others in New York and Washington that at one time were sublime, I had to come up with some criteria for my top 5 outside of my own personal experience. The criteria I decided on is that sushi had to be the main attraction or at least a very strong centerpiece of the restaurant and not just part of a larger omakase experience, the restaurant had to be rated at least 28 in Zagats and getting excellent recent reviews on Zagats and other foodie websites.

My top 5 appear on a side bar. They are in order:

1. Sushi Yasuda, New York, New York
2. Kuruma Zushi, New York, New York
3. Urasawa, Los Angeles, California
4. Sushi Ran, Sausalito, California
5. Sushi Zo, Los Angeles, California

A blog post on each of these is forthcoming.



i

No comments:

Post a Comment